[mythtv-users] Charlie Rose via PVR-350

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 14:09:14 UTC 2005

On 9/21/05, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> Mercury Morris wrote:
> > Going back over the logs one more time, I found an event that
> > occurred three seconds before the out-of-sync discontinuity in
> > the Charlie Rose program. That event is the AutoExpire of the
> > oldest Letterman show. The size? Sixteen gigabytes - 16GB !
>
> That would do it... :) Sounds like time for another drive (and,
> possibly, another filesystem)...
>
> Another drive, another filesystem... perhaps there is a better solution.

Just as mythfilldatabase can be scheduled, I would prefer to see a
similar option for AutoExpire. Two ideas come to mind, but I'm sure
there are many others. One choice could be to add an option to
mythtv-setup allowing a window for looking through the recordings
and cleaning out the "too-many-episodes" candidates.

Another choice could be that when the system determines it is
idle (and about to shutdown), look through the recordings and clean
out the old recordings. (To me, this is like having the office cleaning
crew come in and prepare the work area for the next workday.)

Depending on the specific filesystem to instantaneously erase what
the recording process took half, one, two hours or more to create,
seems to be misplacing the responsibility for cleanup.

As for the specific test of avoiding the discontinuity caused by AutoExpire,
the test was successful. That is, before recording Letterman and Charlie
Rose last night, I manually deleted just one Letterman show. And scanning
the Charlie Rose recording all the way to the end showed no glitches at all.
It's only a single test, but that's enough for me to believe that AutoExpire
of a huge recording during the recording made by the PVR-350 causes
an out-of sync problem. (I'm referring only to my system here.)

Although I didn't mention it before, there is a similar discontinuity in
the recording of Letterman at exactly the same time as in Charlie Rose.
But, the audio and video remain in sync. A few seconds of Letterman
at the point of the IOBOUND are just lost.

For now, I'll either manually delete old recordings, or change the schedule
to minimize the problem (if that's possible). Eventually, I'd like to make
a formal feature request, probably asking for an option similar to the
mythfilldatabase scheduling option.

--
MM