[mythtv-users] Multiple Video Card Possible?

Niels Dybdahl Niels at Dybdahl.dk
Wed Sep 21 13:17:09 UTC 2005

> I've been researching MythTV for some time now. I've just come in to a
> fair amount of money, so I think it's time to finally get off my duff and
> build the MythTV box.
>
> I have already decided that I'm going to use the Hauppauge PVR-350 for the
> video encoding / decoding (nothing fancy, probably just 640x480 for
> personal use on the TV).
>
> However, I'd like to know if it's necessary to have an additional video
> card for output. I've got plenty of plain-jane video cards with TV-out,
> but if the Hauppauge card is doing my MPEG2 decoding, does the decoder
> also
> handle the output of the stream to the TV-out port?
>
> Also, what is the X Windows support like for the Hauppauge card? Since I
> intend on hooking the MythTV box directly to a TV, can the hauppauge card
> drive the TV?

Some have succeeded in running X on the PVR-350. I tried (following Jarods
guide) but it did not work on my system. So I had to add a videoboard with
TV-Out (FX-5200).
The TV-Out of the PVR-350 is said to provide a very good quality, but I am
very satisfied with the quality of the FX5200 board.
The performance of the PVR-350 for X and playing MPEG4s is bad (most say too
bad), so if I were going to build a new MythTV, I would go for a
PVR-150/250/500 and a FX-5200 instead.

Niels Dybdahl