[mythtv-users] garbled audio

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Wed Sep 21 04:31:41 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 20:54 -0600, Stephen Atkins wrote:
> Hello again everyone.
>
> So I thought I would try out the latest development sources 0.3.9 but no
> luck.  I then removed the PVR150MCE and still no luck.  What it sounds
> like is that the audio is actually out of sequence in that some audio
> packets(?) are out of order.

First all of all you need to be certain it is just a sound card issue,
so I suggest mp3's.  From what you said, it sounds like a sound card
issue and not anything to do with ivtv.

I had weird problems with gentoo-2.6.12, especially errors with the
clock deciding that 24 hours should occur in about 2/3's that much time
or perhaps less.  I had audio problems as well.  The latest 2.6.13
gentoo sources seems to have fixed the time issue and the related insane
keyboard repeat issue, unfortunately sound is still not really right.
I'm listening to an mp3 via an optical cable and you can hear the
distortion easily enough.  (This is an asus a8n sli premium.)

On the other hand my front end system uses a biostar m7vig 400 where I
soldered a connector on for spdif output.  It uses a VT8233/a/8235/8237
AC97 chip according to lspci.  It is also running 2.6.13 gentoo sources
and it sounds fine (well you have to turn down one thing in alsa mixer
to get sound, which is wierd, but still it does sound fine.) so I
suspect the driver support for the nvidia chip on my motherboard is
lacking.

The quickest cure is probably to find a nice sound card that is well
supported and just use that.  I particularly recommend this idea if your
in a hurry and your audio chip is something fairly new.  I can post my
frontend .config file, if it would be helpful..

It can also sometimes be helpful to go back to the vanilla souces.  It
seems computer repairs get reduced to trial and error more often than
anyone likes..