[mythtv-users] mythTV settings from the command line?

Paul Pick paul.pick at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 23:35:46 UTC 2005

> The problem is that I can't use mythTV via the frontend (since I don't
> have physical access to the machine)

What's physical access got to do with it? ;-)

> I would like to manipulate it via the command line if possible.

I don't know anything about mythtv command line options but
I do know that, if you've got a command line then you can fix
your vncserver.

- on server: vncserver :1
- on client: vncviewer -via server_ip 127.0.0.1:1

...and that'll give you a gui in which you can run mythfrontend.

Or, if you already have X11 running on the system console
then use x11vnc tunnelled over ssh to give you the equivalent of
the physical access that you want. See:

http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/

Or, if you want full network access (so that you can run a mythfrontend
remotely I suppose -- better have a couple good ISPs!) then you can create a
vpn by running ppp over ssh. See:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/ppp-ssh/

--
"We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different!"
 -- Kurt Vonnegut