[mythtv-users] Setting up slave backend system

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Sep 20 18:53:04 UTC 2005

First I would like to thank everyone that contributed help on this
problem.

I believe I have success in getting the SBE setup and working.  :)
At least the tests so far are good.

I have found a few things that I need to understand better but I now
understand it enough that I believe I can consistently set up a SBE and
a MBE.

Used FC3 on the MBE and FC4 on the SBE with 0.18.1 mythtv from ATRPMS.

1. a single mysql instance is needed on the MBE, no where else.

2. I found three copies of mysql.txt on both the MBE and the SBE.  The
DBHostName needs to be set to the IP or name (assuming you have
/etc/hosts or DNS setup) pointing to the system that has the mysql
database, in my case that was the MBE.  This I believe was the major
problem in getting the SBE setup.

I am not clear on why there are three copies of this file scattered on
the sytem, I assume it is the result of the guide I used and the ATRPMS
packages.  Not sure which actually controls this or if all three are
needed.  I just made sure they were consistent.

3. When setting up the MBE make sure the name or actual IP address is
specified for the MBE, do not leave that as 127.0.0.1.  I think this was
the last part I needed to find to get this all working.

It maybe that using ATRPMS and mythtv-suite to install the packages may
not be the best way to setup an SBE.  Obviously this will install many
packages that are not needed on an SBE.  At the time this seemed to be
the way to do this.

One thing I noticed was that when running mythtv-setup there does not
appear to be a way to delete/remove individual capture cards.  There is
an option at startup to clear the capture cards.

If the option to clear capture cards is selected when running
mythtv-setup on the SBE please note that you need to run mythtv-setup
again on the MBE (should actually run this first before running it again
on the SBE) since this apparently clears ALL capture cards.  This part
confused me at first but once I realized what was going on it was easy
to resolve.  (this did cost me some recordings from last night but they
will be on again sometime)

I also noticed that via mythweb on the status page that it does list all
of the capture cards but does not list the show the card on the SBE is
recording like it does for those cards on the MBE.

And to wrap this up, I am sorry if my confusion caused problems here on
the list.  I was just trying to get a better understanding of how mythtv
works and is configured, and in the process get an SBE setup.

This is one of the more useful applications out there and it works
extremely well.  Kudos to all the developers and people that answer
questions here on the list.