[mythtv-users] Setting up slave backend system

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue Sep 20 16:04:12 UTC 2005

Greg Woods wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 20:02 -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:
>

>>I expected to see the SBE capture cards defined in the MBE system in the
>>status page or in the setup on the MBE.
>>

>This means you have to run mythtv-setup on the machine that has the card
>to set up capture cards. I found this very confusing too but I finally
>figured this out. My slave backend now works fine. mythtv-setup on the
>SBE only shows the one card that is on that machine, yet I can use all
>three cards including the two in the MBE just fine. Going into MythWeb
>will show all three cards, and properly indicate when the SBE is down
>("not currently connected"). The reason this is confusing, I think, is
>that clearly mythtv-setup is manipulating some information that is
>stored only on the local host, and some that is stored in the database,
>and nowhere is it documented when this line is crossed, I just had to
>figure it out by trial and error. Video sources are defined in the
>database, do not try to set those up separately on the SBE. But capture
>cards are defined locally, you must set those up with mythtv-setup on
>each machine that has one or more cards.

Why is this confusing?  You have to define the cards on the machine that
can actually query for the video devices.  It spells it out in the docs:
The configuration of a non-master backed is the same as the master
except you skip over the Video sources section.  I'm not sure why the
Video sources section has to be skipped because the video sources table
in the DB has no host specific options in it so they should be universal
to whatever backend is doing it, but it maybe simply related to a desire
to keep listing related functions relegated to the master backend only
because it runs mythfilldatabse.

Perhaps it should be considered to grey out or disable Video sources on
non-master backend systems to prevent confusion.

Kevin