[mythtv-users] FYI: Linux md / RAID5 resizing via mdadm

David myth at dgreaves.com
Tue Sep 20 15:36:18 UTC 2005

For those of us who like RAID5 but wish that you could just add more disks; the disk fairy has finally been spotted!

>From a recent message from Steinar H. Gunderson to the linux-raid list:
  Attached is a patch (against 2.6.12) for adding online RAID-5 resize capabilities to Linux' RAID code.

  mdadm --add /dev/md1 /dev/hd[eg]1
  mdadm --grow /dev/md1 -n 4

and Neil Brown's response:
  Wow!  Thanks for this.  It's been something that I wanted to be done
  for some time, but it hasn't got even close to the top of my todo
  list.

So it may be worth setting up some test rigs applying, testing and feeding back.

Just so you don't get too excited - it's definitely still rough code according to Steinar's comments.

David