[mythtv-users] remote front end locks up playing live tv/recordings

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Mon Sep 19 16:57:43 UTC 2005

Nick wrote:
> On 19/09/05, David W Davis <davidw.davis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I just finished a fresh fc4 install utilizing Jarod's guide.  I have a
>>master backend/frontend that can record, watch live tv and play
>>recordings with no problem.  My remote frontend locks up on a black
>>screen when attempting to watch live tv or recordings.  If I go to the
>>recordings menu, I can still see the previews playing but as soon as I
>>select one the screen goes black and the machine locks up.  Both
>>machines are fairly similar.  They have AMD processors, the remote
>>frontend has an XP 2700+ and the backend a sempron 2500+.  Both have
>>Nvidia cards, the frontend a Ti4200, the backend an older Nvidia card
>>(TNT2 maybe?).  The frontend has an Nforce2 chipset and the backend a
>>Via chipset.  Where should I look to find out what is causing this?
>>Any help/suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks.
>

> Look in the remote frontend's mythfrontend logfile. It could well be a
> video driver issue. Does mplayer/xine work normally?

Try running mythfrontend from a console window, try your failing
playback then exit.  See if you have and "BadAlloc" messages from
X in the console window you ran mythfrontend in.  If so, you probably
have an X video driver problem.

--
Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown