[mythtv-users] Server question

Jean-Paul Kogelman jean-paul at parox.nl
Mon Sep 19 13:47:45 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm new to MythTV and I couldn't search the mailing list archives for an
answer, so if I'm asking a question that's alreay answered, I'm sorry. :)

This is the setup I want to realize:

video input device: DboxII digital cable box.
server: Linux box with MythTV.
client: xbox with xbox media center + MythTV scripts.

I've found info in the docs that the dboxII connect is possible and should
work nicely, so that's no problem.

I also found docs and scripts to access the MythTV server with my xbox /
XBMC, so no problems here.

The question I have is: Since the dboxII streams MPEG2 streams and epg
info, the server shouln't have that much cpu intensive tasks. It doesn't
have to encode the video, etc. So anything other than a large disk and a
fast network connection isn't needed, right? When I read the docs on
installing, all the requirements are shuffled together. A lot of
requirements are server side (transcoding/decoding apps) and others are
client side (like Qt, opengl, etc).

As you can see, I want the server to do just the things it has to and
nothing more. Are there install / configure guides to set up a server that
is as light as possible, without all the client necessities? What kind of
system specs would be needed (read: absolute minimum specs). My server is
an Intel Celeron running at 466Mhz. That should be fast enough for some
content streaming to 1 or 2 clients, right?

Thanks in advance!

Jean-Paul Kogelman