[mythtv-users] mythfrontend on cheap hw ;-)

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Sun Sep 18 22:44:08 UTC 2005

On Sunday 18 September 2005 5:09 pm, rawcd at softhome.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to make mythfrontend/diskless on old hardware
> Whats the minimum cpu speed, ram  for mythfrontend ?
> Celeron 400, 700 Mhz , 64, 128 RAM , geforce mx4 ?
> Any suggestion?

I've got fairly old hardware. 733mhz P3. PVR 350. Newest
ivtv drivers (0.3.8). 512M RAM. It works very well. I can
watch commercial DVDs with just 40% CPU utilization. Recording
something and watching a DVD at the same time is possible
with about 20% CPU idle.

I'm mounting my storage over NFS. The PVR card is actually
on the frontend machine. That way I get accelerated playback.
mythcommflag & mysql run on the NFS machine directly.

I think you need at least a 700mhz to watch DVDs. If you
don't want to watch DVDs, then you could probably go a
bit lower. I think 400mhz might be the very lowest you
could go. All depends on the graphics card you use. I
think GeForce cards use a bit more CPU in general than
the PVR 350.

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin