[mythtv-users] Setting up slave backend system

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Sep 18 22:03:43 UTC 2005

First I need to thank Jarod yet again.  The section of his guide on
upgrading worked just fine on my master backend/frontend system.  It was
as simple as running:

yum install mythtv-suite

and the system was upgraded from .17 to .18.1

I have a slave backend/front end system that I put together last week.
I held off the final configuration of it until I could get my master
backend system running the same version of mythtv (.18.1).

For my setup I have nfs mounted the /video/recordings directory from the
master backend system on the slave backend as well as the
/video/pictures directory.

When I run mythfrontend I am able to watch live TV and play back
existing recordings that reside on the master backend system.  This
makes me believe that the two are communicating as expected.

However, I am unable to get tv listings displayed and it appears that
when playing live tv I am actually using one of the encoders from the
master backend.

This is reasonable as I only have the two encoders on the master backend
defined.

What I have not been able to figure out is how to setup the encoders on
the slave backend so they are available for use.  Reading the guide it
appears that I should skip step 3 of the mythtvsetup and I should not
run the mythfilldatabase on the slave.

Can someone point me to the section of documentation that I have skipped
or missed detailing how to get this configured?

Thanks!