[mythtv-users] PVR-250 used to work, now stops tuning

Josh Burks dotnofoolin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 13:34:30 UTC 2005

On 9/18/05, Jeff Piazza <jeff at jeffpiazza.org> wrote:
> I built a MythTV machine in March with a PVR-250 and a Pundit-R
> machine.  After the usual initial stumbles, I got it working reasonably
> well, and have been happily using it since.
>
> Last week I went out of town on business.  I got a call from my wife
> that all the recent recordings seemed to be of (cable) channel 22, our
> local PBS station.  I poked around via SSH, and realized that my zap2it
> subscription had expired, so I renewed that, but the tuner still seemed
> stuck.  (I thought this was kind of a strange symptom of an expired
> subscription, but the coincidence seemed even stranger.)
>
> I rebooted the machine and now just get undifferentiated static on all
> channels.  Now that I'm home, I've tried ptune and still can't get a
> signal.
>
> Has anyone known a PVR-250 to fail in this way after working for 6
> months?  Is this a known failure mode?
>
> Also, has anyone had trouble with tuner cards overheating (and failing)
> in a Pundit-R?  The case sure seems warm to the touch.

My PVR-250 did nearly the same thing only after working for over a
year. I put it in a Windows box to double check it and it wouldn't
work there either. I got in touch with Hauppauge and they RMA'd it.

I still don't know what caused it to die. No power failures, lockups,
etc - it just quit tuning.

Josh