[mythtv-users] Simplifying the instalation? (everyone wants that!) - ideas for thought

Alex Cruz alex at wislug.net
Sat Sep 17 00:43:20 UTC 2005

Having used both KnoppMyth and MythDora, I can say that both of these are
"almost there" in regards to the 3rd group. Each distribution has some
excellent post install features but still require getting your hands dirty in
order to get Myth wokring exactly like you want. Both have their pros and
cons and until you try either with your hardware configuration, you won't
know which works best for you. As with all operating systems, the real killer
with a project like MythTV are drivers. Trying to find all of the drivers
that work with your hardware can be frustrating (try installing XP64
sometime) but once you get over that hump, the rest is Nirvana.

I totally love this application and have been pushing it on my co-workers that
have either TiVO, Replay or Windows Media Center to try out and prove that
MythTV isn't better than what they currently have. The only grip so far have
been with the themes (or lack there of). They really aren't easy to
manipulate if you want to tweak them.

-alex