[mythtv-users] Anybody seeing "kernel: CPU0: Temperature above threshold" with Prescott CPU's and FC3 ?

ToadMazter toadmazter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 22:25:15 UTC 2005

I have been on a MythTV quest for 4 months now, and after failing with 2
previous Backend hardware setups, I hoped I had found the right combination.
Here's what I have for my dedicated (no TV viewing) backend:
 Gigabyte GA-8ICXT motherboard
Intel 630 processor (Pentium 4 3 Ghz Prescott)
1 gig Corsair RAM
3ware 9508-SMI SATA RAID controller ( 4 200 gig SATA drives in RAID 5 JFS
for my LVM video partition)
2 160 gig SATA drives for boot (Linux software RAID 1)
Integrated Intel E7221 video ( I think this is why FC4 won't install, but
that is for another tiime....)
2 HD3000 cards
1 PVR 150 card (not enough PCI slots for the 2nd card I purchased so now I
need a PVR-500)
FC3. Ran yum upgrade and installed mytv-suite and ivtv drivers... that is as
far as I have gotten before I decided this error was driving me crazy!!!

Message from syslogd at mythtv-be at Fri Sep 16 15:06:01 2005 ...
mythtv-be kernel: CPU0: Temperature above threshold

Message from syslogd at mythtv-be at Fri Sep 16 15:06:01 2005 ...
mythtv-be kernel: CPU0: Running in modulated clock mode

The machine is basically idle, and I am faily certain it isn't over heating,
but how do I check the temps? It is in a huge server tower case with a bunch
of fans and the room temperature is 72 F.

I did read in the Fedora forums that Prescott processor run hot, but
couldn't find a way to raise the temperature threshold.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28069

I disabled Hyperthreading in the BIOS. And then tried to but with a non-SMP
kernel, but that just seemed to hang the machine during boot.