[mythtv-users] HDTV on Xbox frontend

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Sep 16 19:24:26 UTC 2005

>>> "A JM" <vbtalent at gmail.com> 09/16/05 3:03 PM >>>
> So, even though the Xbox is just a FE it still needs to do
> decoding in order  to diplay correctly or for that matter at all?
> I assumed that the BE did all the work since it contains the capture

> card and storage was also on the backend, the FE was just a conduit
> to the TV.

It does, but something has to *de*code the stream.  Mpeg2, arguably,
requires the least amount of cpu to display because there is
very little to decompress like mpeg4.  So, while mpeg4 takes
up less space, it takes more oooph to play it.  The HD TV stream
(I think mpeg-ts?) is just plain old lots of information.  The
nVidia cards are nice because they support hardware acceleration
on the output end, while the pvr-x50 does the acceleration on
the input end.

Paul