[mythtv-users] HDTV MythTV parts list

Jack Perveiler perveilerj at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 16 17:36:25 UTC 2005

--- Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2005, at 07:43, Jack Perveiler wrote:
>
> > --- Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >

> >> Was gonna say... I'm pushing my 1080p LCD via DVI from a 6200, no
> >> problems
> >> whatsoever with either 1080i or 720p playback (and no sw deint
> >> filters at
> >> all, yay!). Sync to VBlank was definitely key here too, forgot to
> >> turn that
> >> on at first and was slightly befuddled for a bit.
> >>

> > Jarod,
> >
> > You've mentioned a couple of times now you aren't using any sw
> > deint filters.
> > 1080p is a progressive output, though... how are you getting away
> > with this?
> > How do you avoid the deinterlaced motion nastiness with 480i and
> > 1080i content?
> >  I'm pushing my 720p DLP and without deint filters motion looks
> > terrible on
> > interlaced content.  What's your secret? :)
>
> My TV does everything for me automagically in hardware. :-)
>
> Deinterlacing a 1080i signal for display at 1080p is easier than
> doing it for a 720p display, since you don't have to scale the video
> at all. I dunno the specifics of exactly what's happening under the
> hood on my TV, but I get absolutely zero interlace artifacts on 1080i
> content. I do see some minor interlace artifacts on 480i stuff, but
> only upon very close inspection (nose near the screen), and even
> then, they aren't bad. My ASSumption is that the TV just has a really
> good deinterlace filter in it. Maybe I should read my TV's manual one
> of these days to figure out exactly what's going on... ;-)

Ah.  So it sounds like you're using a 1080 interlaced modeline then, and you're
letting the tv doing the deinterlacing.  For a minute I thought you were saying
that you were sending 1080 progressive but with no sw deinterlacer to take you
from 1080i to 1080p and it still looked good.

My cable box DVR has the ability to set it's output to "pass-thru", meaning
that 720p programs are output as 720p, 1080i is output as 1080i, etc and the TV
handles the rest.  I don't suppose anyone knows if there's a way to make myth
behave similarly?  Modern TVs are getting pretty good and doing their own
deinterlacing/scaling (I know mine, a Samsung HLR-5667, does) and it would be
nice to have myth not have to worry about the deinterlacing.

--Jack