[mythtv-users] Simplifying the instalation? (everyone wants that!) - ideas for thought

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 06:33:57 UTC 2005

On 16/09/05, Buzz <buzz at oska.com> wrote:

> What about having "recommended" or "common" configurations?
>
> 1) single PC - everything installed,run and stored locally.
>
> 2) single backend system  - backend+tuners+lirc+database+web+filesystem all
> on one host.  "basic" frontend on other host/s (as many as desired, often
> just one) running GUI/mythfrontend+plugins only.
>
> 3) minor deviations from (2) eg: lirc on frontend, (extra) tuner/s in
> frontend,
>
> What other common instalations are out there....?
>
> What about a Wizard configuration tool?... (for common configurations)

Whilst I think this is probably a good idea, I have the worry that it
will still rely on all of the many components that MythTV relies on
being already configured and working before this wizard is run. If you
scan through Jarod's Fedora guide, you'll see that setting up MythTV
is a (comparatively) very small part of the HOWTO.

The way I see things at the moment, I are about 3 types of typical
user - the more 'hardcore' users who will compile everything by hand
and not use package repos, those comfortable with Linux wanting to
install MythTV quickly, and finally those who've never used either
before but want to try, and will find it the most challenging. I think
that for the first 2 groups, setting up a multi-system MythTV
installation would be quite straightforward (aside from the odd
hardware grumble) with documentation explaining the fundamental
concepts, whereas the last group may be more suited to a premade
MythTV install such as Knoppmyth or MythDora. Adding such a wizard to
one of these installs may be useful.

Nick