[mythtv-users] Xserver disappears: easy recovery methods?

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Sep 16 00:07:02 UTC 2005

I'm building up a Mythtv box. Just loaded the new Mandriva 2006.0-04 beta
which has the 2.6.12-11 kernel with all of the via modules built in.
I'm running KDE and with the right software installed I confirmed that it
would play audio (kscd) and DVD's (kaffeine).
I installed my pcHDTV card software, then ivtv for the Hauppauge 500.
Then I configured and compiled mythtv..This took a while and I ran out of
time at the end of it. It reported some errors so I figured I would have
to try again, probably with a newer version than the one urpmi gave me.

I shutdown and this morning.... no X server running... no dm.. The error
message points to an 'exec' failure and points to a file 'X' which is a
symlink to a file 'Xorg'  *which does not exist*....(From memory ->
/usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg...)

At least it doesn't exist now..Otherwise the machine seems to work fine.
Understand that it ran fine yesterday and I did not (at least knowingly)
fiddle with anything to do with X...

So. Any pointers on how to *quickly* recover? It appears that the Xserver
is munged...I don't know where or how and I'm not sure I want to go
spelunking too deeply in fear of breaking things worse.

Worst case, I guess is to use this machine to find the correct URL then
wget the X source rpms on the mythbox and then configure/make/make
install, all in tty0...but I would like to avoid that if possible. It's
hard enough to do when you DO have a graphical interface to work in!

Thanks in advance.
Geoff
R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638