[mythtv-users] Better think twice before choosing an FS especially for LVM

Erik Karlin e_karlin at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 15 22:45:32 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 03:30:05PM -0700, Blake wrote:
> <following topic with interest>
>
> What I normally do (rather than using RAID) is copy stuff to another
> hard-drive. I don't know of many people with good experiences using RAID.
> (And one of them--RAID0?--appears to be some sort of practical joke.<s>)

It's no joke. For me, I had one 250g disk fail w/out raid and it was a
complete hassle. I wasted tons of time worrying about how to save my
data, research, etc. I now know a bit about LVM2 and RAID, but I still
lost 60% of my recorded programs.

I decided at that point that my time is worth more than anything. I run
a raid10 system currently with 6 250g disks. They are raid1 (mirrored)
pairs of disks, and then the three raid1 mirrors are stuck together with
raid0 to form a PV for LVM. After taking out space for root/swap, I've
got a 693g PV.

For a while I ran two of the raid1 devices degraded until the drives
went on sale. At $99/drive it's far cheaper than wasting days/weeks
trying to salvage and restore and reshuffle.

I chose LVM on top of the raid10 device so I can add another pair of
disks and create another PV. Not quite the performance boost of raid0,
but I'll worry about that when I get there. As it is now, I've still got
285g free in the PV.

BTW - heat and space are an issue. I've only got room for two more
drives and I've got fans blowing over each pair. My temps are:

# hddtemp /dev/hda /dev/hdc /dev/hdi /dev/hdk /dev/hdm /dev/hdo
/dev/hda: Maxtor 6Y250P0: 28 C
/dev/hdc: Maxtor 6Y250P0: 24 C
/dev/hdi: Maxtor 6B250R0: 38 C
/dev/hdk: Maxtor 6B250R0: 37 C
/dev/hdm: Maxtor 6B250R0: 28 C
/dev/hdo: Maxtor 6B250R0: 28 C

The two in the 30's are in my 4-in-3 kit. I'll have to work out why it's
so hot on the top of my case.