[mythtv-users] Better think twice before choosing an FS especially for LVM

David myth at dgreaves.com
Thu Sep 15 22:44:27 UTC 2005

Blake wrote:

> <following topic with interest>
>
> What I normally do (rather than using RAID) is copy stuff to another
> hard-drive.

Yep - I do that for backup (as opposed to resilience).
I can't afford (and don't need) to backup my entire Tb+ of TV recordings.

> I don't know of many people with good experiences using RAID.

You need to meet more people :)

>   (And one of them--RAID0?--appears to be some sort of practical
> joke.<s>)

No, not at all.

RAID0 over multiple disks can give *huge* boosts to throughput.
It offers no resilience (so more AID than RAID) but it means that you
can issue say 4 read requests to a 4 drive RAID0 array and the head from
drive 1 skitters away to service request 1, drive 2 does request 2 ,
drive3: request3, drive4:request4 ... all in parallel so you appear to
get 4 times the performance - equivalent to say: 2ms seektime and
300Mb/s *real* transfer speed - still laughing?

David