[mythtv-users] How to fix Movie posters on FE

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 12:54:31 UTC 2005

On 15/09/05, PAUL WILLIAMSON <pwilliamson at mandtbank.com> wrote:
> > >On 15/09/05, PAUL WILLIAMSON <pwilliamson at mandtbank.com> wrote:
> > > You shouldn't be running MythTV as root.  There is no reason
> > > for /home/.mythtv to exist because you installed MythTV
> > > as root.  Bad thing.  In general, it's not good to
> > > installing anything as root because you're lazy.  Sorry,
> > > that's what you said...
> >
> > What do you mean by install as root?
>
> I really mean run as root.  Sorry for the confusion.
> I meant running as root.
>
> > I'm sure I got an error when I tried to install (using rpm)
> > as anything other than root.
>
> Yep.  I think root is the only one who can make modifications
> to the rpm database, which is what happens when you
> install an application.
>
> > So what I did was:
> >
> > create the mythtv account
> > install the mythtv rpms as root
> > ran mythtvsetup as user mythtv
> > ren mythfilldatabase as user mythtv
>
> You should also have (if necessary) done a chown -R mythtv ~mythtv
> somewhere in there.  I can't remember what the ownership is,
> but something tells me it's root.
>
> > Now I'm starting mythbackend  as a service (which I presume
> > means it's running as root).
> >

> Not necessarily.  It all depends on your startup script.
> If you followed Jarod's guide, he is very clear on what to
> do as the myth uiser, and what to do as root.
>
> Step 14, configuring automatic startup, shows how
> to enable mythbackend  to start up automatically
> as your mythtv user.  If you did that step as root,
> then yes, you're running mythbackend as root.
> To make sure, just do a 'ps -ef|grep mythbackend'
> and it will show you who the process is owned by.
> All mine are owned by mythuser.
>
> > And I'm starting mythfrontend as user mythtv.
> >
> > Is this right?
>
> It sounds like you may be about half right...
>
> Paul

Yes I think I must have slipped up somewhere, because I'm pretty sure
that mythbackend is running as root.  I'll look when I get home
tonight.  Sadly for me Jarod's ability to write the guide seems to be
better than my ability to follow it :-( because it wouldn't be the
first mistake I've made through not reading it  carefully enough.

Thanks for the reply.