[mythtv-users] Problems with VGA/RGBHV and Mitsubishi HDTV

David Sims dl.sims at comcast.net
Thu Sep 15 12:45:28 UTC 2005

On Sep 14, 2005, at 12:19 PM, conkel at sunpower.com wrote:

> My problem is that my TV doesn't want to wake up after I turn it off
> for
> an extended period of time. I leave the Myth frontend running and I
> turn
> the TV off when I'm done to prevent burn in. If I leave it off for more
> than a half hour when I come back to turn it on it comes on for about 5
> seconds and shuts itself off.
>
> I can get it working again by unplugging the VGA from the back of the
> computer, turning on the TV, and then rehooking the VGA cable back to
> the
> computer. What's odd is that I can turn the TV off and back on, just
> not
> for an extended period of time.

I have a Mitsubishi TV connected the same way with a breakout cable.  I
have a problem similar to yours, although it's not as severe.  Quite
often when I turn on the TV, if the connected computer is on and the TV
is set to that input, it will immediately turn itself off.  When that
happens I can immediately hit the power button again and it will stay
on.  I never have to disconnect the VGA cable.

My fear is that the voltage levels from the VGA output on the video
card aren't exactly right for the TV.  If that's the case, we're likely
slowly damaging our TVs.  This post back in March talked about adding
some inline resisters to the breakout cable:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/120314?
search_string=DVI%20and%20RGBHV;#120314