[mythtv-users] What would cause choppy audio recording?

Brian McEntire brian.mcentire at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 02:11:37 UTC 2005

Hmmm....

I know it seems unlikely that it's the recording side, but that's why I've
tried two different computers and then posted to the list to see if anyone
had any ideas.

The first computer I tried playback on is the FE/BE combo and that's where I
saw the problem. It's a 1.6 GHz P4 so it isn't suprising it can't keep up
with HDTV.

Then I tried playback on a 1.7 GHz Pentium M, which is supposed to have more
horse power per cycle than a P4 and has seemed quick on other apps. Granted,
this is pretty close to the 1.6 where I originally had the problem so maybe
it's still underpowered.

One HTDV show I recorded before and which was set to transcode automatically
to MPEG4 plays well on both computers *if* I play it with mplayer with the
-framedrop parameter.

However, several recordings since then, even when transcoded, don't seem to
play back smoothly even with -framedrop.

If anyone wants to try it, I could post a few seconds of the transcoded
content (PBS news) somewhere and you could tell me if plays back okay for
you.

About MPEG4 playback being CPU intensive... are you sure? I thought part of
the benefit of MPEG4 was the high cost of encoding but the low cost of
decoding (ie, so you can play it on little hand held devices.) The
transcoded dimensions are MUCH smaller than the original, weighing in at
352x240, which should help with the CPU usage a good bit. In fact, when I
playback on the 1.7 GHz Pentium M, CPU usage is only 25%-30% according to
'top', but the audio is still choppy.