[mythtv-users] PVR-500 + VIA KT400 = rebooting? black magic problem?

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 01:59:07 UTC 2005

Hi Folks,

I recently bought a PVR-500 to replace my existing low-quality saa7139 card.
I've finally gotten through the various instructions and have gotten nice
high-quality video out of /dev/video0.... but only for about 5 seconds,
after which my machine reboots!!! There was a previous thread on the list
where someone complained of having problems with KT133 motherboards, and
since my mobo (Soyo KT400) uses the KT400 chipset, I thought there might be
a problem.

Also, with the .3x release of ivtv, it seems that the no_black_magic flag is
no longer an option, as I get the following in dmesg when I try to install
the card:

cx25840: Unknown parameter `no_black_magic'

In any case: perfect video for a few seconds, then POOF reboot.

-Brian