[mythtv-users] HDTV MythTV parts list

Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. gtgj at pacbell.net
Thu Sep 15 01:56:07 UTC 2005

>>>>> Isaac Richards writes:

[nVidia 6xxx and 7xxx cards]

i> Myth uses the 'video texture adapter' by default on these newer boards, and
i> the only thing missing is support for adjusting the contrast/brightness/etc
i> through Xv.  No tearing, performance is exactly the same as with older
i> hardware, and there's no colorkey to show up at odd times. =)

i> I have a 6600gt in my dev box, and it has absolutely no problem playing HD
i> video.

        That's interesting.  I have a 6600 and it (mostly the X
server) is just maxing out an Athlon64 3500+ when playing a 720p video
in a 1920x1080 display.  It plays fine but there's no headroom
(eg. for >1.0x timestretch).  Playing a 1080i video uses less CPU.  I
had been assuming this was due to inadequate Xv support since an older
card (PCX5300) was using much less CPU for 720p.  (Unfortunately, the
video quality of the older card was really bad at 1920x1080 so I had
to return it.)
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.