[mythtv-users] What would cause choppy audio recording?

Brian McEntire brian.mcentire at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 20:17:30 UTC 2005

I'm recording OTA HDTV with a PC HD-3000 card.

The video quality looks perfect, rarely pixelates, but the audio is very
bad: it sounds choppy, echos frequently, and has a pulsing quality to it.

I'm recording on a P3 1.6 with 768 MB RAM. From what I understand, recording
OTA HDTV doesn't take a lot of resources because the card is just capturing
the (already encoded) MPEG2 stream from within the ATSC broadcast.

I think the problem does lay in the capture side though because even if I
transcode a captured show to xvid using nuvexport, the audio still sounds
the same on playback and I think those transcoded formats wouldn't tax the
CPU enough to cause audio problems.

Any ideas?