[mythtv-users] One tuner on PVR-500 (was Re: PVR-500 configuration)

Garry Cook garrycook at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 14:57:12 UTC 2005

On 9/13/05, Dave Sherohman <esper at sherohman.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 06:57:51PM -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > My understanding of this is that if you only have a PVR-500 you would
> > need to have 81-0 and 81-1 in the modprobe.conf file. In my case I have
> > a PVR-350 as well.
>
> Right, I was probably following a document written by someone who had
> a non-Hauppage card on /dev/video0 and didn't think at the time to
> adjust for it. Or something like that.
>
> > Did you try putting 81-0 and 81-1 in your modprobe.conf?
>
> No, I haven't. 81-0 (not in modules.conf) works and 81-1 (in
> modules.conf) doesn't; I don't want to break the one that's working.
>
> > Please note I am still trying to get my PVR-500 to work as expected so I
> > may have this completely wrong. :)
>
> Based on what I've read, you appear to be correct.

 I'm running two PVR250s and a PVR500. I haven't updated my ivtv drivers in
a few months, so some of what is in my modprobe.conf may no longer be
necessary with newer drivers, but here is the ivtv modules section.
# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
alias char-major-81-2 ivtv
alias char-major-81-3 ivtv
#options tuner type=39,39,57,57
options cx25840 no_black_magic=1
alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv
alias msp3400 msp3400-ivtv
alias tuner tuner-ivtv
 I believe that you need an 'alias char-major-81-X' line for each tuner that
you have, regardless of how many PCI boards they might be on. Also, you'll
want to start at '81-0'.
 Even if you are not running MythTV on a Fedora box, Jarod Wilson's
excellent setup guide can prove quite helpful. Check this section:
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php#capture
 --g