[mythtv-users] Stability problems w/XvMC in 0.18.1

Steve Carter stevecarte at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 14:20:54 UTC 2005

I'm running 0.18.1 from ATRPMs packages on FC4, installed following Jarod's
guide. Tuner is firewire input from a 6200 set-top-box. Output is an nvidia
5200 card, using the 7667 drivers. 3.0GHz pentium processor - top reports
that mythfrontend is using about 55% CPU w/o XvMC when playing HD content
from the set-top-box (I'm not sure what format it outputs). Mythbackend and
X take up another 15%, for a total utilization of 70%.

With XvMC turned on, the system is very unstable. With SD content, the OSD
causes extreme screen flicker. When tuning to a high-def channel,
mythfrontend usually crashes (sometimes with a trace dump, sometimes not).

If I turn XvMC off, the OSD flicker ends and things are stable, even viewing
HD. But viewing HD sometimes results in jagged video and audio that sounds
like it's underwater. This is random - when I experience the problem, I can
usually change channel or exit TV and immediately return to the same HD
channel and it displays fine.

Running SUDO doesn't change anything (except make the crash harder to
recover). I've tried both nvagp = 1 and 2. Renderaccel is turned off.

Sound like a familiar problem to anyone?

Steve