[mythtv-users] mythbackend fails silenty

Bob Weber rjweber at ieee.org
Wed Sep 14 03:47:43 UTC 2005

On Sunday 11 September 2005 12:07 am, chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:

> Do a `which mythbackend` and then make sure the DAEMON variable in
> /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend is pointing to the right location.  If DAEMON
> is incorrect then the script fails silently.  Running myth manually
> would still work because it's in your search path.

Thanks Chris. The path is /usr/bin/mythbackend, and echoing the command
from /etc/init.d/mythbackend shows that this is what it's trying to execute.

start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --chuid root --exec /usr/bin/mythbackend
--nic elevel 0 --make-pidfile --pidfile /var/run/mythbackend.pid --background
-- --verbose none --logfile /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log

> Failing that, look at the commands in /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend and
> test them manually one at a time until you find the point of failure.
> For example, the script creates a temporary directory, so if that
> command failed due to permissions then myth wouldn't run from the
> script....

Running this from the command line as root works fine. But
"/etc/init.d/mythbackend start" fails. Once I get it running, I can kill it,
and start it from the script just fine.

So what would be different between running the script manually with
"/etc/init.d/mythbackend start" and directly typing in the command it
executes?

I do notice that once I get it running, the module ipv6 is loaded, and it
wasn't before. But loading this module first and trying the script still
fails. Any ideas anyone?