[mythtv-users] PVR-500 configuration

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Sep 13 21:21:24 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 17:08, Gerald J. Berg wrote:
> I have almost the same system and have a similar problem. I expect the 350
> and 500 combination will become a popular configuration once it gets locked
> down and works reliably.
>

> mplayer -vo -x11 /tmp/test.mpg
>
> My 350 video and audio capture to disk works fine when using the above
> command. It shows reasonable video, but the audio is skewed more than a
> second in time.
>

> # /usr/bin/ivtvfbctl /dev/fb1 -alpha on -globalalpha -nolocalalpha -d 0
> # dd if=/dev/video0 of=/dev/video16 bs=64k
>
> When I use the above commands to capture from the 350 and output through the
> 350 to a TV, the audio is only static and the video has a jerkyness where
> every few frames seem to repeat or stop.
>

> Scot, can you please post your modprobe.conf file as a reference?
>
> Thanks,
> Jerry

Absolutely!

[root at terraslave ~]# cat /etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth0 8139too
alias scsi_hostadapter sata_sis
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
}; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 ohci-hcd

# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
alias char-major-81-2 ivtv
alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv
alias tuner tuner-ivtv
alias msp3400 msp3400-ivtv
install ivtv /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ivtv; /sbin/modprobe
ivtv-fb

It may be that my assumptions on the additions I put in for the PVR-500
in modprobe.conf could be the root of my problem.  I assumed that adding
the 81-1 and 81-2 lines were the ones I needed.

I don't see the problems you see with the PVR-350.  I get beautiful
output to the TV from the 350.  I do get a little static blips when
running the mplayer test but suspect that is the cheap on board video I
am using for the moment.  BTW: the mplayer command (mplayer -vo xv
/tmp/test_capture.mpg) worked just fine.  I think the -x11 option
cleaned up the little bit of static I saw.  But for me that is not that
important as I plan to use the PVR-350's output only once the box is
built and tested.

Hoping to have this new box tested up to the point of configuring mythtv
to point to the master backend.  Then sometime this weekend I need to
upgrade my master backend to 18.1.  That is going to be scary.  It has
worked so well for the last 7 or 8 months I just hate to mess with it.
:)  That box is using a PVR-350 and a PVR-250.