[mythtv-users] PVR-150/500 and bttv?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 13 03:33:17 UTC 2005

Greg Woods wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 19:28 -0700, Joe Votour wrote:
>

>>I've read the thread you you mention, and call me
>>skeptical, but I don't buy it 100%.
>>

>Neither did I. I know lots of people who get fine reception without
>having to hand-crimp every connection. I am skeptical as to how much
>that matters except maybe in a few exceptional cases.

Taken directly from the post:
-----
The points listed below should help to improve your signal quality, and,
therefore, your picture quality. Each point will bring varying amounts
of improvement--ranging from not noticeable to "wow" improvements--if
used individually. However, you'll probably get the best improvement
using a combination of suggestions. If you can, I highly recommend
taking all the steps.
-----

I never said it's impossible to use connections that are not
hand-crimped.  However, the post concentrated on steps that can be taken
to improve signal quality.  And--regardless of how skeptical you may
be--having properly installed, good quality connectors does improve
signal quality.  And, TTBOMK, crimp-on connectors (properly installed)
provide more-reliable, better-quality connections than twist-on connectors.

>But I do know just
>from my own experience that the signal degrades when splitters are used,
>especially at the end of a long run. The PVR-500 also has a splitter
>inside it (it must, to the single input to two tuners) and is therefore
>more sensitive to signal degradation than is the 150 (same card, single
>tuner). This is by no means intended as expert advice, it is merely what
>I have observed in my particular setup.

That makes perfect sense.  I hadn't ever really thought about the impact
of using a PVR-500 instead of a PVR-150, but it does sound like it may
be an additional item of concern for signal quality.  Even if there's an
amp before the splitter, it's at the end of the run--meaning it would be
amplifying the noise as well as the signal.

Mike