[mythtv-users] SATA and IDE ATA100 in the Same LVM grouping?

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Mon Sep 12 18:12:56 UTC 2005

On 11 Sep 2005 at 20:56, Poul Petersen wrote:

> > Can you use LVM to group a SATA drive with an IDE
> > ATA100 drive?  if you can, is it just the standard
> > commands or are there any pitfalls to be aware of?
>
> 	Actually, you can combine virtually any kind of block
> device with LVM - SATA, PATA (EIDE), SCSI, iSCSI, AoE, FC,
> floppy, file, NBD, gNBD, USB (Mass Storage), etc. Of course,
> most of these would be pretty silly, but anything you can
> put a file system on you can pvcreate and add into a volume
> group.
>
> -poul

My current system has one 200GB IDE drive, and two 400GB SATA
drives. I created a 100MB partition on the IDE drive which mounts as
/boot, then created an LVM group using everything else. All other
partitions (swap, /, /video, /music) are within that LVM group. (or is it
volume?)

Clearly IDE and SATA drives will play together nicely in an LVM group,
at least on my system. I don't really think LVM cares what kind of block
device is included, just as Poul stated.

Marvin Match