[mythtv-users] Video problems with PVR250

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 10:58:40 UTC 2005

On 12/09/05, John T. Nissley <jnissley at nissley.org> wrote:

> I do not really know were to start since I can not seem to find any posts
> about this problem.  Am am beginning to wonder if I was not ment to have a
> mythtv box.
>

> I am loading linux on a computer with an intel motherboard that is a few
> years old but has enough horsepower according to the posts I have seen about
> the requirements.  I purchased the PVR250 because it seems to be a fairly
> popular model from what I was able to read.
>

> I load linux and everything works well.  I do the linux upgrade with yum and
> follow all of the necessary steps in the Wilson how to.  I get the remote
> control to work and I can even get the PVR250 to work on composite out #4
> and send the sound in through the mic input of my sound card but I want the
> tuner to work so I do not have to use the set top box and can just tune in
> the station with the tuner card in the computer.  But everytime I try to use
> the tuner all I get is a snowy screen.

Sounds like the PVR250 might be working, but just not tuned to a valid channel.

The PVR250 should work pretty easily with Myth these days, especially
if you're following Jarod's guide,  so you can probably skip the
mplayer test on the device and dive in to the MythTV setup.

What I did when I was in your situation was, with the PVR in a windows
computer, use the autoscan and note down the channel number that
corresponded to each station.

These channel numbers correspond to the frequency field, on the second
page of the channel setup in myth.

Be aware that you have to create channels in Mythtvsetup before you
can tune to anything.  You might think you can manually step through
the 99 frequency slots that the PVR250 receives, but you can't)

Good Luck