[mythtv-users] Red Eye Serial problems with USB to Serialconverter

Kieron Wilkinson Kieron.Wilkinson at paretopartners.com
Mon Sep 12 10:57:44 UTC 2005

Kieron Wilkinson wrote:
> After plaugging in the RedEye and changing the device to
> /dev/ttyUSB0 I can change channels on my Telewest box. ONCE. It
> only works once, and I have no idea why. If I remove the USB
> adaptor and plug it back again, I can change channel one more
> time.

> Subsequent attempts to change channel still show the RedEye power
> being applied as normal (from the red power light) but the light
> does not pulse for the channels being sent like it normally does.
> It just stays with power light for roughtly the same amount of
> time, and then finishes. There are no errors emmitted by the
> program.

Well I found out what the problem was just in case anybody has the same
problem. Apparently there is a bug in the HX version of the PL2303 USB
to serial hardware so I had to update my kernel to incorporate a
work-around patch that went in 2.6.13. Details here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-usb-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg371
49.html

It works fine now!

Kieron

Pareto Investment Management Limited is a Mellon Financial Company. Pareto Investment Management Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (Firm Ref. No. 416024), and registered in England and Wales with Number 03169281. Registered Office: Mellon Financial Centre, 160 Queen Victoria Street, London EC4V 4LA, United Kingdom. Pareto is the registered trademark of Pareto Investment Management Limited. This message may contain confidential and privileged information and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee. Access, copying or re-use of the e-mail or any information contained therein by any other person is not authorised. If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by returning the e-mail to the originator and then immediately delete this message.