[mythtv-users] TV choices - was: Could we install/run Mythtv withoutX-windows

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Sep 12 05:30:25 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 22:21 -0700, Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. wrote:

>         How does the TV know to deinterlace a progressive scan input?

"Progressive scan input" doesn't need deinterlacing.

Interlaced input needs deinterlacing.  There are many types of
deinterlacing depending on the material and other factors.

If the material is truely interlaced (i.e. shot on interlaced vide) any
number of interpolating algorithms could be used.

If the material was originally shot progressive, like on film, and it
arrives interlaced, it can be de-interlaced back into it's original
progressive format with a 3:2 pulldown deinterlacer.

b.

Brian J. Murrell