[mythtv-users] ripping EVERYTHING on a DVD to a single file

Garry Cook garrycook at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 05:10:34 UTC 2005

On 9/11/05, stephen <mythmail at nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > How do I just rip an entire DVD (without transcoding) to disk
> > as a single file?
> >
> > I don't want to rip it to multiple files, because then multiple
> > files will show up in the Videos section for the same DVD. But
> > I want everything, as DVD menus are necessary for some DVDs
> > (i.e. TV series, like CSI - you need the menu to jump around
> > from show to show), and other special edition DVDs have all kinds
> > of extras that I don't want to lose.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> I use lsdvd ...
>
> $ lsdvd /dev/cdrom
> $ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/path/to/videos/dir/[filename].iso
>
> Works great.
>
> Stephen

 I just wrote a little script to do this tonight. I called it 'ripdvd'. It
contains the following:
 mplayer dvd://1 &
dd if=/dev/dvd of=/video/mythvideo/$1.iso bs=2048 &

I just do 'ripdvd <MOVIE_NAME>' and it works great. The mplayer part is
pretty kludgy, so I tried the lsdvd mentioned above. But I don't seem to
have lsdvd in my distro (FC3), so I'll stick with mplayer for now and throw
this out there for anyone else that might want to try it.
 --g