[mythtv-users] QAM256, no pids after scan?

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Sat Sep 10 21:54:16 UTC 2005

Brian Long [brilong at cisco.com] wrote:
> Drew,
>
> Would a product like this work?
> http://www.twinhan.com/product_cable_2.asp
>
> It appears you could insert the Time Warner smart card into this card
> and it would descramble the appropriate channels (assuming Time Warner
> uses this type of smart card).

Cool!  I did not know that cable-card compatible tuners existed
yet.

I seriously doubt that it works under linux right now.  I am no
expert, but based on what I've read on this list in the past, I have
some doubts that it could ever work, unless the interface to access
the cable card is somehow reverse engineered.  I think in order to be
able to receive scrambled content, the software has to guarantee that
it keeps file on disk scrambled and unexportable (similar to receiving
scrambled signals via firewire, which is discussed more often here).
Keeping files scrambled and unexportable doesn't seem in keeping with
the Mythtv.

Drew