[mythtv-users] Using firewire or usb external drives

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Sat Sep 10 20:55:30 UTC 2005

I haven't used firewire with MythTV or Linux.

I did however buy a firewire Maxtor 250GB firewire drive from Fry's about
a year ago. It was FAT formatted and I didn't bother to change it. (Which
was, perhaps, a mistake). It was reasonably fast, but hugely flaky, and
within about six months, it crashed, taking all my data with it. (I had
been using it as a backup and a storage place for ripped game CDs.)

Now, a single report, by itself, should not necessarily sway one for or
against any particular product. But I went back to Fry's a year later
(which was, also, perhaps, a mistake, although I didn't buy anything<s>)
and they had a huge display of these Maxtor drives--same models, same
prices, but EVERY SINGLE ONE WAS A RETURN.

So, instead, I bought a 250GB Seagate (internal) and a NAS kit. Works well.