[mythtv-users] Using firewire or usb external drives

Henry Fleischmann henry at fishcasa.com
Sat Sep 10 17:31:05 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I'm setting up my first Mythtv system on Gentoo and had a question about
storage. What kind of problems will I run into if I base all my storage
for recorded programs, stored movies, MP3s, etc. on external USB or
firewire drives? For now I am putting my frontend and backend on the
same system (Asus Pundit-r 3Ghz, 200GB HD) which only has 1 HD bay but I
plan to move to separate frontend and backend setup if I find Mythtv and
I get along ok. External drives seem like a good solution due to ease of
expansion the ability to migrate them fairly easily to other systems.

Should I avoid I stick with one directory per drive and avoid JFS/XFS?
Is performance to low? Are their know problems with JFS or XFS on these
kinds of drives? If I add all the drives to one files system will the
spanned file systems be difficult to get back up on a different system
that recognize the drives in a different order than the original?

I am fairly familiar with JFS on SCSI drives using HP-UX (as of a couple
years ago) but have never used it on Linux or with IDE.

Thanks in advance!
Henry