[mythtv-users] Could we install/run Mythtv without X-windows

Devan Lippman devan.lippman at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 06:14:14 UTC 2005

On 9/9/05, Brandon Beattie <brandon+myth at linuxis.us> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 03:51:05PM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> Personally, I think plasmas are a bad choice and LCD has too slow of a
> pixel response time. DLP is by far my choice for best picture. Single
> unit (rear projection) units use projectors in them anyway. I find the
> fact that the viewing able is critical in them so the image isn't too
> dark from a side, or when sitting on the floor. A projector and screen
> give much better results for view angle.

Save your money for OLED, prolly one to two years away but I'm guessing with
all the money dumped into the TFT Fabs the same companies are gonna keep the
price point high on the OLEDs. The nice thing about them however is they are
an active device so they control the light emitted (almost 100% energy
efficient too so low on heat) rather than filtering it like LCD so you get
incredible viewing angles and fantastic contrast (I think they were saying
something like 5000:1 for contrast and a brightness of 600 nits). Its also
pretty fast and super thin. Once they get these babies lasting 30000 hrs
plus I don't think there'll be much to compete. In fact I might have seen
the link here talking about Samsung getting ready to release a 40" or 50"
model thats 3" deep!

--
Devan