[mythtv-users] Some confusion on "record weekly" schedules...

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sat Sep 10 05:44:04 UTC 2005

Alex Brekken wrote:
> and Monday's episode shows a "E" next to it, which is correct.  (after
> Friday's episode has been recorded then I assume the Monday episode will
> show a "P" or "R", depending upon if I deleted the recording or not)

Yes, correct.

> To answer some other questions from Bruce, the reason I didn't setup a
> "Record All" is because SciFi also plays the "old" BattleStar Gallactica
> shows which I don't want recorded.  As such, I figured the record weekly

Ah, so that's the distinction you should make rather than the timeslot...

> route would be the way to go since it pinpoints a specific time-slot in
> which I know the new series is being shown.   I have read the Myth docs
> on this topic, but when it discusses recording priorities it's within
> the context of conflicts, which is why I raised this question as there
> really was no conflict happening here.

Sorry I didn't specify that the relevant info that I had in mind
and that Brad referred to is the section on "Scheduling decisions"
and how it may choose a showing for one rule over a showing that
is a match for another rule.

So, if you want to record any episodes from the new series and not
the old, here is what you can do. MythTV has a feature call Custom
Record to create kPowerSearch rules that allow you to specify any
criteria to match showings. You want to match just episodes from the
new series. See: http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html#ss11.8

Set the rule name to "Battlestar Galactica", cut'n'paste this into the
text box:

program.seriesid = "SH710749"

"Test" to be sure, then click "Record" and choose "Record at any time
on any channel". This rule will only match shows from the new series
and not the old series from the '70s.

If you've been keeping up with the series and only want the new
episodes within two weeks of when they are first shown, then:

program.seriesid = "SH710749"
AND program.previouslyshown = 0

As I test this now, I get matches for three showings of "Final Cut"
this week and three showings of "Flight of the Phoenix" next week
with no episodes of the old series or re-runs from the new series.

--  bjm