[mythtv-users] Crackling and popping in non-PVR analog card -- I think I can say it's MythTV's fault

Sérgio Gomes sergiomdgomes at netcabo.pt
Thu Sep 8 22:53:21 UTC 2005

Hello everyone!

I have finally found the problem!

I did a little experience: I enabled the AC97 soundcard in my
motherboard and connected the output of the TV card to it instead of to
the Audigy. No more crackling! However, I noticed the volume is way too
high! The TV card seems to be outputting sound at a very high level. The
Audigy tolerated this, but not my AC97 card. Not very serious though,
I'm getting an attenuator to solve the problem.

The high levels were however not the problem, since the crackling only
happened in MythTV and not when I recorded TV sound in other programs.

So, the crackling I experienced is probably MythTV not liking my
soundcard (Audigy 2, emu10k1 kernel module), since in all other
programs, and all the playback and recording experiments I did there was
never a crackle or pop. The emu10k1 factor is also consistent with
Michael Cowell's setup, who posted his similar problems. It must be
something in the emu10k1 driver that MythTV doesn't like.

So, what I can say is, if you have a TV card with a dongle cable to
connect to a line-in, don't connect it to an emu10k1. MythTV won't like it!

Thanks for bearing with me!

Sérgio Gomes