[mythtv-users] How best to recover a fubar'd system?

Jim Reith reith at racores.com
Thu Sep 8 14:20:41 UTC 2005

I posted this on the Knoppmyth forums (and got a complaint on why it was an
installation issue) http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5955

I have a 3 month old installation that was working well until I allowed it
to fill the disks. Once the recording section filled it started getting
errors and the log files filled the root partition and it was all downhill
from there. Apparently there were some shared blocks that e2fsck wasn't too
happy about and I was never able to get it clean. So... I appear to have a
good LVM partition of videos but I need to rebuild my root partition. I'm
afraid to just let it do an install and have it roach something that I will
need or init the /myth directories. is there something here (which I
haven't been able to find in my search) that describes this type of
recovery? I've got 550gb of videos I'd like to salvage if possible. my
other choice is to swap in a virgin drive and rebuild on that and then copy
the root over onto the bad partition once it's up and running. I await your
collective words of wisdom...

<also>

yeah, hda1 is totally toast. it filled and the fsck found a bunch of
problems including some duplicate inodes and it segfaults now when I run it
on the partition from the Knoppmyth CD. The /myth/tv partition (lvm) filled
but still had a few megabytes. I made the mistake of trying to delete a
known bad recording through mythweb and it hung, I couldn't even ssh in and
when I rebooted, fsck roached hda1 as it came back up.

So, I assume that from your comments/solutions that the database is on the
root partition?

is there enough info in the .nuv files to recover the names/dates of the
recordings or will I have to sort them and manually fill them back in?

none of it is irreplaceable. i'm sure I can regather all the old repeats
I've been collecting to archive. I just wish I had had more time to write
them to DVD since I had just gotten Martin's MythBurn scripts working. I
wish it had deleted/expired some of the old recordings and freed some space
but it didn't.
R5A16, ivtv 3.6y, PVR-150 (Tuner 50, NTSC), PVR-350 (Tuner 47, NTSC, Video
out), Sempron 2800+, 2Gb RAM, 600Gb HD

So, can anyone give me a possible recovery method with the root partition
totally roached? An upgrade install was what has been suggested in the
forum using the LVM instructions which seems to just update the root
partition but then I have the issues with recreating the database...