[mythtv-users] Compiling Mythtv with DVB

Kevin Saenz ksaenz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 23:43:57 UTC 2005

> Which kernel version are you using? The kernel's DVB code is reasonably
> up-to-date, so if you're using a fairly recent 2.6 kernel, you probably
> don't need to compile in linux-dvb separately.

I was using 2.6.12-r9 I think, and linuxtv and dvico would not patch the
kernel
I would experience errors. So I ended up using the vanilla kernel. The
problem
I found was that when I loaded mythtvsetup and selected dvb, I got a message

saying it could not locate the directory or file. I ran ls in /dev and foud
the
following structure

/dev/dvb.adapter0.frontend0
/dev/dvb.adapter0.audio0
etc

There was no /dev/dvb directory.

> I have had success with Mandrake 10.0 community and linuxtv-dvb-1.1.1.
> > So I reinstalled Mandrake10.0 and recompiled linuxtv-dvb against the
> > kernel. I downloaded, and extracted mythtv-0.18, ran ./configure
> > --enable-dvb --dvb-path=/usr/src/linuxtv-1.1.1/ then ran qmake
> > mythtv.pro <http://mythtv.pro> <http://mythtv.pro> then make and make
> install.
>
> The DVB path should be the path to the linux include files. I don't
> think that's the same as the linux-dvb source files. If your kernel is
> 2.6.12 or later, you can (and ./configure will) point to the kernel
> source tree: /usr/src/linux/include. If your kernel is earlier, you
> mustn't include the kernel source directly - copy just the dvb stuff
> somewhere else, and include that.

I found out that ./configure --enable-dvb --dvb-path=/usr/src/linuxtv-1.1.1
would not add the dvb instruction set. I modified
settings.pro<http://settings.pro>

# DVB support
CONFIG += using_dvb
DEFINES += USING_DVB
INCLUDEPATH +=/usr/src/linuxtv-1.1.1

and now I can watch HDTV :)

> as a standard user I ran mythtv-setup and configured the capture card
> > I selected dvb and the message I get is recompile with dvb support.
> > Where have I gone wrong?
>
> Have you tried doing this as root? Also, have you confirmed that your
> DVB card is working using e.g. tzap? Check out Martin Smith's Myth/DVB
> set-up guide at:

I don't like running applications as root, and prefer not to. I have reset
the security
settings to allow all users to run or access DVB

Kevin