[OT] Re: [mythtv-users] MythNotify suggestions

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Tue Sep 6 13:17:30 UTC 2005

> >>If I wanted to get callerID running via OSD with mythnotify. Would I
> >>just want to go pickup any old serial modem that supports callerid?
> Well, I just got myself a hundred dollar caller id then. (external US
> Robotics serial modem) Fired MythNotify up with "AT #CID=1" and now I
> get caller id information on the frontends when somebody calls. Very cool.

While the geek factor is admirably high, this probably wasn't a good way
to spend $100 if you really want to have CID available all the time.

I bought a *talking* Caller-ID box for less than that.  Not only does it
annouce the incoming calls by number, it can also match certain numbers
and either announce them verbally (ie: payphones say "PAYPHONE" instead
of speaking the number) or actually pick up the phone and tell them to
go away ("The person you have dialed is not accepting your call.
Goodbye.") which is great for telemarketers - I have it programmed to
PFO any callers that block their CID.  Even though I didn't build it
myself, the geek factor is still up there and the WAF is out of this
world.

And it works when the TV is off.