[mythtv-users] Re: VIA Hardware, good enough to capture analog, maybe play HD?

Jay Jarvinen jay-lists at 3pound.com
Tue Sep 6 05:03:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 22:01:26 -0600
Chad <masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/5/05, Chad <masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > Do the specs of:
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=13-185-043
> > [For those who don't like links, the basics are:
> > VIA C3 Samual 2 2000+(800MHz/133)
> > North Bridge VIA CLE266
> > South Bridge VIA VT8235
> > Onboard Video Chipset S3 Graphics UniChrome 2D/3D ]
> Don't really need any solid answer, just wondering if it's worth my 50
> bucks.

I don't have first hand knowledge, so .. check the archive for HD
playback CPU requirements.

In my very informal 'tests' (me looking at top or ps), analog capture
using software (MPEG4) compression, at 480x352, takes around 500MHz of
juice. Playback requires 'very little'. If that's all this box were
doing, it may work fine, with the exception of a hiccup during
mythcommmflag.

And BTW, PCChips? A few years ago I flashed a PI/233 PCChips board,
only to find out I had just joined a long list of people who corrupted
their BIOS chips using the same (known bad) utility *from* the PCChips
site. The board functioned fine, prior the flash, but the company
dropped the ball. I won't touch the brand.

Still, that's pretty cheap for chip+board combo, but if it were me - I'd
spend the extra $20 for the next one down on that list @ Newegg. Like:
BIOSTAR M7VIG400-COMBO5, that'll accept modern Athlon XP, PC2700,
FSB333, etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138243

At least with that, you've got room to breath w/new hardware, that Via
C3 Samual w/FSB133 is a relic (albeit a dirt cheap one), in my opinion.

-Jay