[mythtv-users] Back of the envelope calcs for minimum network speed

Brian McEntire brian.mcentire at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 03:29:22 UTC 2005

Hi -
A question about network capacity:

I'm planning to put a front end by the TV, and a back end in a different
part of the house. The primary purpose for this MythTV setup is HDTV
viewing.

Some early HDTV recordings are about 2.4 GB for 30 minutes.

This works out to 2.4 * 10^9 * 8 bits/B / 30 min / 60 sec/min= 10.7 Mbps

For streaming from the backend to the frontend (aka accessing via NFS?) it
appears it will exceed Ethernet speed and require fast ethernet. I don't
have cable run, so my question is, for a strong signal, is it reasonable to
expect a quality stream over 54 Mbps wireless-g or is running CAT5/6 a
better bet?

Thanks!