[mythtv-users] Transcoding to 480p

Brian McEntire brian.mcentire at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 18:00:42 UTC 2005

I have an EDTV that doesn't go to full HDTV specs. It can display 480p,
720p, and 1080i formats, but it's native resolution is 852x420 so any of the
other formats are going to be downsampled.

I'm having success recording HDTV over ATSC OTA with MythTV, but playback is
choppy and I know it is because my computer is currently underpowered. I
could upgrade, and probably will, but in the mean time, and even after I
upgrade, there is no reason to have HDTV shows at higher than 480p since
they need to be downsampled to display on my TV anyway.

Can I save disk space and possibly improve playback performance with
transcoding? How to I manually and automatically set shows recorded in 1080i
or 720p to be transcoded down to 480p?

Thanks!