[mythtv-users] newbie help - ATI capture card?

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Sun Sep 4 21:05:22 UTC 2005

If you have spent two weeks on it, I'd tend to recommend, if possible
giving up and ordering a Hauppage PVR150 from newegg or your computer
store of choice.  I'm trying to use cheap ATI video cards with s-video
out for front ends, which is doable afaik, but using a ATI for the
backend is probably just a path to frustration.

Of course the video out quality of video cards running Svideo is usually
sub par, with I think nvidia having the best ones and the best solution
being the hauppage one with TV out..  If you are using 20" or less tv's
you might consider seeing if you have a used computer store around you
can find some good used or just buy new monitors (They are surprisingly
affordable now).  Avoiding the whole s-video issue has its merits.  I
think I saw a sharp 19" monitor at one used computer store in St. Louis
at around $90.

Beyond the 20" range if you have the money, some tv's have digital
connections, and that brings with it a whole new set of issues.

Of course reading here might help...