[mythtv-users] VIA XvMCvld

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Sep 3 22:42:52 UTC 2005

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 21:59:49 +0200, Dirk Aust wrote:

>Hi all,
>I have a VIA EPIA M10000 with a CLE266 using the HW MPEG2 decoder with the
>XvMCvld extension, with the old 2.6.8.1 it works, but when I use the brand
>new 2.6.13 kernel only the top half of the screen is used when loading the
>mythfrontend, even using the drm.ko and via.ko from UNICHROME project, it's
>the same, I get no error messages in the Xorg.log or in
>the /var/log/messages. And furthermore when I starting a simple xdm screen it
>also works.
>
>Anybody made the same expieriences?

Of sorts....Try this. Set up so your xserver does NOT start up at boot.
This will give you a runlevel 6 session with no display manager (ie, you
will see a black tty1 login prompt.

Login, then, run startx.

The xserver will load and you will be left at your messed up screen. Use
CRTL-ALT-F1 to switch back to tty1.
You will see the messages put out by/from xorg.conf as it starts up..

I suspect you may see what I have been getting:  invalid module format...
Error: failed to load module via.....

Now *why* that is happening, I have NO idea. I only know that it does for
me, and this is how to see those errors.......

Geoff

R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638